Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Using the Displace Filter

  1. Open image you want to use as the base, in my case boring.jpg
  2. Open image you want to displace, in my case sailboat.jpg.
  3. Move sailboat.jpg into boring.jpg as a layer (you would do the same with your images).
  4. In my case I copied sailboat to a new layer and
  5. Again in my example, Image > Rotate > Flip Vertical and move down below the boat.
  6. Reduce Opacity to about 75%
  7. In my example my displacement map will be the water. You can copy any texture like a brick wall.
  8. Select texture, water in my case and copy to clipboard
  9. Create a New file > Blank. The default size will be the size of the image in the clipboard.
  10. Edit > paste or Ctrl+V
  11. Layer > Flatten Image
  12. Ctrl+Shift+U to desaturate as your displacement map is monochrome
  13. Save as displace.psd. File must be a psd file.
  14. Make image to be displaced active, in my example the reflection layer
  15. Filter > Distort > Displace
  16. H – 20,V – 0,Tile and Wrap around is not applicable
  17. In box choose the displace.psd file

No comments: