Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Photoshop SIG 6-14-10

I apologize for not keeping this blog up-to-date these past 6 months but these months have been a bit difficult. I promise to do better in the future.

If you have a Canon camera that shoots RAW would like to view the Canon RAW files in Windows Explorer go to http://www.usa.canon.com/, hover the mouse over Support and choose Consumer. In the Search box enter Canon RAW Codec. On the resulting page pick your operating system, Vista or Windows 7 and you will be offered to download rc170upd_71.exe, scroll to the bottom of the page and click I Agree - Begin download. Save to a folder on your hard drive and after the download go to this file and click on it to install.

To view dng Raw files I did a Google Search on dng raw file codec. The top of the list took me to Adobe Labs which has the Codec to download and install.

I received a request to show a technique for blending two images together using the Gradient tool. I showed this at the sig and I created a video of this that can be be viewed at http://tinyurl.com/29y4lq5

In the June Photoshop SIG I demonstrated a technique for changing a face in a group shot. Many times in taking photos of a group one or more in the group has their eyes closed or something similiar. To get around this the photographer should take multiple shots of the group and replace those closed eye face with ones that are good.

In taking my group shot, a photo of my grandson's youth soccer team, one of the member's of the team showed up late so I showed how to take a seperate photo of him and then insert this photo into the team photo.

I have created videos of both of these techniques and they can be viewed at:

http://tinyurl.com/293uc6q and

http://tinyurl.com/39jskra

We also talked about camera RAW and all the adjustments in the Camera RAW dialog box.
Martin Evening recommends a workflow for Basic adjustments of:
Exposure to set overall image brightness
Recovery to restore any important detail in highlights
Blacks to set the shadow clipping
Fill to reveal more detail in the shadow area
Bright-Contrast is used last to fine-tune the image after you’ve adjusted the other 4 sliders.